Kyle Burton on Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:01:26 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] docs on /etc/crontab?

This thing?

[mortis@warhammer mortis]$ rpm -qf /etc/crontab
crontabs-1.7-6
[mortis@warhammer mortis]$ rpm -qi crontabs
Name        : crontabs                     Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 1.7                               Vendor: Red Hat Software
Release     : 6                             Build Date: Thu Apr 15 10:00:31 1999
Install date: Tue May 18 09:47:55 1999      Build Host: porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM: crontabs-1.7-6.src.rpm
Size        : 4856                             License: public domain
Packager    : Red Hat Software <http://developer.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : Root crontab files used to schedule the execution of programs.
Description :
The crontabs package contains root crontab files.  Crontab is the
program used to install, uninstall or list the tables used to drive the
cron daemon.  The cron daemon checks the crontab files to see when
particular commands are scheduled to be executed.  If commands are
scheduled, it executes them.

Crontabs handles a basic system function, so it should be installed on
your system.
[mortis@warhammer mortis]$

Best I can do is inferr from it that it's differnet from vixie-cron...
I don't see docs in my /usr/doc directory for crontabs...

[mortis@warhammer mortis]$ rpm -ql crontabs
/etc/cron.daily
/etc/cron.hourly
/etc/cron.monthly
/etc/cron.weekly
/etc/crontab
/usr/bin/run-parts

that run-parts thing is a shell script.  I dont' know for sure, but it
looks like the foramt of /etc/crontab is kinda like a normal users's
cron file, except it specifies a user to run the cmd as...

just a guess...

"No one knows what he can do till he tries."
    -- Publilius Syrus