Tim Peeler on Fri, 22 Oct 1999 19:15:38 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Slip/Eql/Remote-X

	I recently got a few cheap 486's and decided to install linux on 'em.
Unfortunately, the hdd's are only 120M, but I was able to get one working with
a descent ammount of software by putting one of the hdd's in one using it for
/usr  As it stands it's a pretty good terminal/X workstation, but I've got a
few problems.  I want to run remote X apps from my 'real' computer (4Gig Hdd)
and possibly use samba or nfs to give it a little extra space.  Currently I'm
running a direct nic-nic from my main computer to my brother's computer and
masquerading.  I don't have a hub, don't have another nic card and don't have
the money to get either; but would still like to hookup my other computer to my
main computer.  I thought about ppp/slip/cslip, but since the serial ports are
16450's the connections are really crappy.  I can get a 57600bps connection
between the two computers, but it drops packets like crazy under heavy loads.
I've been thinking about using eql to allow a theoretical 115200bps connection,
and should be able to run remote X apps, but samba or nfs will be slow.  I've
heard something about a compression protocol for remote X apps to allow for
better response across slow lines and I'm thinking of using that.  As far as
the serial line load balancing, I haven't been able to find the eql_enslave or
eql_emancipate programs to setup eql.  Any suggestions?  Pointers to eql tools?

Tim