Nick R on Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:59:01 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] telnetting around a firewall

Yeah, I've been looking for something like this as well. Some kind of telnet or ssh java interface thing. I'd think you'd need to somehow make it look like http or something though so it didn't get filtered out. Or if not ssh, is there some kind of one time unique password way to do it. I wouldn't be aversed to carrying a short password list with me. I'll bet a simple cgi script could send and recieve commands one at a time though. In fact, I think I'll work on that.

From: Morgan Wajda-Levie <mpwl@locke.ccil.org>
To: Plug <plug@lists.nothinbut.net>
Subject: [Plug] telnetting around a firewall
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:17:45 -0500

Recently I've been spedning some time trying to work around my schools
telnet restrictions so I can use my computer.  There is a firewall in
place which seems to make some telnet connects impossible, while
others work.  I can telnet to my ISP, which runs NT, but my computer
and CCIL both report that the connection was dropped.  I thought this
may have something to do with firewalls and the way the server
interacted with the client, but I don't know.

Any way, I'd like to find a way to work around this.  I've been
looking for a java telnet program, but have been unsuccesful.  Does
anybody know of such a program that could work around a firewall?
Even better, are there any such programs out there that do ssh?

--
Morgan Wajda-Levie
http://www.worldaxes.com/wajdalev