Chris Fearnley on Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:35:42 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] telnetting around a firewall - non-technical considerations

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 11:10:18AM -0700, Nick R wrote:
>                                                        I'm frankly startled
> by the response I'm getting here. Some of you people really need to loosen
> up a bit as well as lose a little of the faith you seem to have in the
> motives and competancy of "the man".

It is not startling at all.  Beating one's brow against intransigent
power structures gets painful and tiresome after awhile.  Frequently,
it saps most or all of one's energy, then, in the end, very little
progress is made.  Or if change is effectuated, twenty years later
someone reverts your changes (much vigilance is required to sustain any
social system, hence the invention of bureaucrats).  My conclusion:
rebellion and political fights are generally a no win game.

I find it much more interesting (and effective) to empower myself and
others through design: the design science revolution:  applying our
understanding of how things work to give everyone the option to
accomplish big things that heretofore were impossible to even big
religion, big government, or big business.  Now you might understand
why I like Linux so much:  it is very empowering.

If I were you, I would spend my time and energy working on something
positive to everyone (including the allegedly ``stupid'' bureaucrats).
It will be more rewarding than puzzling out something that only works
in some special case environments and is divisive to the bureaucrats.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                   |  Design Science Revolutionary