LeRoy D. Cressy on Sun, 31 Oct 1999 15:07:30 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] IRQ conflicts

I have noticed that on some motherboards that have an AGP slot for the video
card and the PCI slot right next to it report the same IRQ.  This is not good in
windows or linux.  As long as both boards are not attempting to acces the IRQ at
the same time there is no trouble.  But when the same IRQ is accessed
simutaniously in either windows or linux you will have troubles.  In windows it
will just showup as another lockup, and cause you to reboot the system, where as
in Linux you might experience ``flakey'' behavor.

I would rearange the boards on the PCI bus until the IRQ's are all unique.  Also
if you are not using the USB port or the second serial port, why not disable
them in the BIOS thus allowing you to have More free IRQ's.

Have a good day :-)

LeRoy

Michelle Weber wrote:

> How does linux handle pnp pci devices and irqs?
> Yesterday I put in another pci card on my machine, and I notiice it and my
> video card are on the same irq in windows, alonog with "IRQ holder for PCI
> steering" on the same irq twice. But both work, and windows reports no
> conflicts.  What will happpen when I reboot into linux?
>
> --
> Michelle Weber
> umweber@mcs.drexel.edu

          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		mailto:ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037