Greg Lopp on Wed, 3 Nov 1999 12:51:17 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Red Hat is Coming!

"Michael W. Ryan" wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Nick R wrote:
>
> > Maybe there should be a filter or something for this list that keeps out
> > duplicates. It wouldn't need to check every message in full, just compare
> > subjects of messages not beginning w/ Re: in the past week or so and then
> > compare the bodies against each other if the headers match.

Not that it would have helped this time.....Kevin Falcone added an "!" to the
subject, causing it to slip by your filter.  I don't think that you could
account for things like that.      Unless the comparison was done against the
subject line minus whitespace and punctuation.

> Not a good idea.  Not everyone's mail client always adds on the "RE:".

Good point, but those posts would pass based upon the last check.