LeRoy D. Cressy on Sat, 6 Nov 1999 12:22:15 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] That idiotic cylinder 1024 problem

The various MS OS's use the mbr or the first cylinder for their boot process.  I
think that all of the kernels must reside in the first cylinder of the disk and
no where else.  That is why the NT partition and the FATxx partition are in
reality beyond the first cylinder or what is called the master boot record.

For much greater deapth of understanding read the LIlo users manual that comes
with Lilo.  It is in postscript so should print on your printer.

Michael Leone wrote:

> > How do 98 and NT share the same boot partition? My current 98 partition is
> > fat32... I don't know, but I thought NT couldn't handle fat32,
>
> It can, with a free (read-only) driver from sysinternals.com
>
> and what if
> > I made my NT partition NTFS?
> > Or couldn't I also put the linux boot partition on the first part of the
> > 2nd drive, that works right?
>
> Does for me. I boot Red Hat from the 2nd partition on my 2nd drive. But I
> use Partition Magic's Boot Magic to keep my Win98, NT, Linux and Netware
> partitions humming along.

          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		mailto:ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037