Chris Fearnley on Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:09:09 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Debian stuff

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 10:49:45AM -0500, Mental wrote:
> Hey, I have a set of 2.1 disks from cheapbytes I picked up a while back.
> I think I'm gonna go back to debian for a while, but I want to run the
> latest unstable stuff. Is there a way to do an ftp install off of the
> unstable tree? I figure I'll abuse the DSL line a bit. If not, I guess
> I'll have to install 2.1, get apt-get working then do the whole
> dist-upgrade thing.

The boot-floppies package and resulting boot disks are the most
unstable part of Debian's current unstable.  Unless you are prepared
to assist in the debugging and coding of the boot disks, I'd recommend
installing Debian 2.1 or Corel Linux
(http://www.corel.com/news/1999/november/november_15b_1999.htm) and
then upgrade.

> apt-get stores the packages it uses in /var right? My /var partition
> is about 400M right now. Should I grow it more?

Just go in stages and use "apt-get clean" periodically.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                   |  Design Science Revolutionary