LeRoy D. Cressy on Sun, 21 Nov 1999 10:09:01 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] XFree locks up local console

Hi all,

This sounds like a problem that I have encountered in the past with x locking up
the local console.  I have found that some times Netscape and the xscreensaver
fills up the swap and memory space thus causing the kernel to start killing
processes.  Also I have found that a bad simm or dimm may be the problem.

Several things that I do to check the memory is to run memtest on the system for
a while.  Also I do something crazy like running three kernel compiles
simutaniously in a loop for a while on a new box in three xterms.  This will
fill up the memory and stress the cpu.  If the box doesn't crash doing this I
feel fairly safe about the hardware before putting it on line.

--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		mailto:ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037