Bill Jonas on Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:49:01 -0500 (EST)

[Plug] Debian & misc.

A few quick questions:

Am I correct in my understanding that potato is a snapshot of the current
state of development for the next stable release?

Is there a place to get a current snapshot of potato on CD (pref. cheap)?

Does PADS have a mailing list, and if so, how do I sign up?  (I checked the
PADS page at Chris' website, but I couldn't find anything.)

I've become exceedingly weary of Slackware.  I've installed the base system
for Debian potato, but the 'man' command is missing.  I've downloaded *all*
the docs (took quite a while).  Is it in there?  Where can I find info about
minimal installs (of any distribution) so that I have a halfway functional
system in <400megs?  (I have a 2 gig disk right now, with ~1.4 gigs FAT32,
400 megs ext2, 64 megs swap, and no money for the time being to get a better
disk.  BTW, if anyone's interested, Micro Center in St Davids has a 27 gig
IDE disk for ~$240, but it only spins at 5400 rpm.)  Note that I have a 56K
winmodem, so apt-get isn't possible for me (yet).  (I'll get a real modem or
possibly cable once I have extra cash.)

An observation:  The next meeting, on December 1st, is the same night that
UPN is running an hour-long Star Trek special (33 years of Star Trek or
something like that).  Hope we don't have the problem PADS did in May when
the new Star Wars movie opened.  :)

Bill