Morgan Wajda-Levie on Tue, 23 Nov 1999 16:22:46 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Debian & misc.

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 03:48:11PM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> A few quick questions:
>
> Am I correct in my understanding that potato is a snapshot of the current
> state of development for the next stable release?

potato is the current development version of debian.  By my
understanding of the term, this would not make it a snapshot, but
maybe I'm wrong.  potato is reasonably stable, but it does break at
times.

> Is there a place to get a current snapshot of potato on CD (pref. cheap)?

There's a list of vendors on www.debian.org.  Some of them do sell
development snapshots.

> Does PADS have a mailing list, and if so, how do I sign up?  (I checked the
> PADS page at Chris' website, but I couldn't find anything.)

PADS does not have a mailing list.  It's just a subgroup of PLUG.

> I've become exceedingly weary of Slackware.  I've installed the base system
> for Debian potato, but the 'man' command is missing.  I've downloaded *all*
> the docs (took quite a while).  Is it in there?  Where can I find info about
> minimal installs (of any distribution) so that I have a halfway functional
> system in <400megs?  (I have a 2 gig disk right now, with ~1.4 gigs FAT32,
> 400 megs ext2, 64 megs swap, and no money for the time being to get a better
> disk.  BTW, if anyone's interested, Micro Center in St Davids has a 27 gig
> IDE disk for ~$240, but it only spins at 5400 rpm.)  Note that I have a 56K
> winmodem, so apt-get isn't possible for me (yet).  (I'll get a real modem or
> possibly cable once I have extra cash.)

Get the package 'man-db'.

--
Morgan Wajda-Levie