Michael C. Toren on Sun, 28 Nov 1999 12:21:35 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] plug announce list

> The key to setting up an announce list is to make it as simple, obvious,
> and easy as possible to maintain.  It serves no function to the people
> regularly participating in the list, and as such will be discarded if it
> is too much of a pain for moderator to maintain.
>
> "actually be cc'd to the discussion list" assumes a one-way pipeline
> between the moderator and the lists.  That isn't realistic.  People will
> announce things on plug the moderator will feel deserve posting to
> plug-announce (the obvious name for the list), and will do so.  The
> moderator also may be sent in private mail things that should be
> announced.  cc'ing would only be useful concerning announcements the
> moderator receives in private mail--after all, if it's been posted to
> plug in the first place what is the use of cc'ing it back to the
> list, so everyone on plug can get two copies? :)

I really only see the announcement-only list being used for PLUG meeting
announcements, which can be sent to the discussion list as well as the
announcement-only list at the same time.  I agree with your point, though;
if a particular announcement has already appeared on the discussion list,
and the moderator feels it should also be sent to the announcement-only
list, there's no need to re-post it to the discussion list.

> The only other way the cc thing makes sense is if you are saying that
> people should post to the annouce list and and cc here.  Well, people
> shouldn't post to the annouce list.  Only the moderator (or moderators)
> should.

Anyone can /attempt/ to post to the announcement-only list, however before
those posts will be propagated to the subscribers, a moderator would need
to approve them.  Similarly, a message posted to the discussion list and
cc'd to the announcement-only list would appear on the discussion list
immediately, but would require moderator approval before appearing on the
announcement-only list.  This is fine.

> As for announce subscribers knowing there is another list out there, all
> that info, with instructions on how to switch to full plug, can be
> placed in the automatic footer of the annouce list.  There need be no
> "hinting."  The footer can plug plug. :)

Absolutely.

-mct