jason and jill on Sun, 28 Nov 1999 11:59:30 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] plug announce list

> I personally would rather see posts to the announcement-only list
> actually be cc'd to the discussion list, just to make it obvious to
> both lists what's going on, and also to hint to the announcement-only
> subscribers that there's another list they're missing out on.

The key to setting up an announce list is to make it as simple, obvious,
and easy as possible to maintain.  It serves no function to the people
regularly participating in the list, and as such will be discarded if it
is too much of a pain for moderator to maintain.

"actually be cc'd to the discussion list" assumes a one-way pipeline
between the moderator and the lists.  That isn't realistic.  People will
announce things on plug the moderator will feel deserve posting to
plug-announce (the obvious name for the list), and will do so.  The
moderator also may be sent in private mail things that should be
announced.  cc'ing would only be useful concerning announcements the
moderator receives in private mail--after all, if it's been posted to
plug in the first place what is the use of cc'ing it back to the
list, so everyone on plug can get two copies? :)

The only other way the cc thing makes sense is if you are saying that
people should post to the annouce list and and cc here.  Well, people
shouldn't post to the annouce list.  Only the moderator (or moderators)
should.

[The way list moderation usually works is that the list is set to refuse
posts from anyone other than the moderator(s).  The moderators forward
posts into the list (either messages they receive privately or messages
sent to the list, which the list server has shunted to the moderator for
approval.  The moderator places some sort of approval line at the
beginning of the message (at least in majordomo, and I believe
listserv--although I don't moderate any of my listserv lists so don't
know for sure), and the server, when it receives a message with that
approval stamp sends the message through to the list subscribers.]

As for announce subscribers knowing there is another list out there, all
that info, with instructions on how to switch to full plug, can be
placed in the automatic footer of the annouce list.  There need be no
"hinting."  The footer can plug plug. :)

Jason