jason and jill on Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:14:55 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Now a "closed" list

> On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Ronald Ross wrote:
> > What is a closed list?
>
> This means that people who are not on the mailing list cannot post to the
> mailing list.  This means that we cannot be spammed from outside sources.

One additional clarification we should give people, and its a minor one
unless you are one of the people effected. :)

1) The server knows what EMAIL ADDRESSES are registered, not what PEOPLE
are registered.  So if you receive the list at one address and post from
another, plug will reject your posts b/c the posting address isn't in
the subscriber file.  Also, if you subbed to plug at an old address and
have it forwarded by procmail or another utility to your current address
you still won't be able to post b/c to mailman it is the original
address that is subbed, not your current one.  (The solution to both
problems is to unsub from the address you won't be posting from and sub
at the address you will post from.)

2) Majordomo and listserv check the full name@domain address when a list
is closed--don't know if mailman is more or less advanced.  So you may
find yourself unable to post to plug if your address has changed
somewhat.  For example, bill@mail.taco.com and bill@taco.com are
different subscribers as far as the server is concerned.  And
bill.jones@taco.com and bill@taco.com are different addresses, even if
internally your isp translates the addresses.

2) is harder to fix, and it may be that you have to ask the listowner to
unsub the old address and the new one.

Jason