tburba on Wed, 1 Dec 1999 12:24:22 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Star Office

Now the obvious question: the "skinny" on MS Jet Engine?

scatterbrained@mailandnews.com on 11/30/99 08:02:50 AM

Please respond to plug@lists.nothinbut.net

To:   plug@lists.nothinbut.net
cc:    (bcc: Thomas A Burba/USVISION)
Subject:  Re: [Plug] Star Office

Casey Liscum wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I work at UofPenn and we distribute CD's quarterly to everyone affiliated
> with the University.  My boss sent this:
>
> > A student suggested that we consider putting the StarOffice Suite (MS
> > Office clone) on the PennConnect CD next year. A site license is cheap
> > ($1,000 unlimited, I think) so cost is not an issue.
> >
> > Do any of you have experience with StarOffice, or have you read or
> heard
> > things that would indicate that this is a good/bad idea?
>
> Any opinions?

Sun owns StarOffice now. A CD can be purchased from them for about $10.
I've used it since version 4.0 and like it. The only real problem is
it's handling of databases. If you want to use an Access database then
MS Jet Engine MUST be running before StarOffice attempts to open it.