William H. Magill on Wed, 1 Dec 1999 14:45:28 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Linux Server (fwd)

   >Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:09:11 -0600
   >From: Jim Sulfare <jsulfare@harte-hanks.com>
   >Subject: [Plug] Linux Server
   >
   >What I'm looking for are servers that I can run Linux on and not have a
   >problem. I prefer not to build them, though I am more then able to do
   >so!! I need to give my attention to the business not the hardware. So
   >does anybody know any good hardware dealers that support linux systems?
   >and is locally; Bucks, Lehigh Valley, Northampton or surrounding area?
   >Remember I'm starting this on a budget.
   >
   >My setup with the severs is:
   >One system running Apache and all web activity.
   >Second system running all database activity (Oracle8i).
   >
   >I'm going to start this Business in Philadelphia and I hope to be a
   >100% Linux and UNIX shop.  I hope to make one of the meeting and meet
   >all the great minds of this city.

Personally, and especially since you are planning on using Oracle,
I'd go with Compaq and either Tru64 Unix or Alpha Linux on a DS10 box as a
starter system. The DS10 can be ordered with either OS.... SUSI 6.1 does a
wonderful job on the Alphas, and Oracle LOVES a 64bit environment
(terabytes of data and all that good stuff.)

http://www.unix.digital.com/linux/ (DS10 Linux version $2999)

http://www.alphalinux.org/

Also, as of October, Compaq (nee Digital/DEC) released the first beta of
their "GEM" compliers for Alpha Linux. These compliers are pretty uniformly
acknowledged as the best in the industry, and are optimized for 64 bit
code generation on the Alphas. Performance improvements over GCC code
have been incredible. Some of the NCAR folks did a bunch of stuff at
SuperComputing 99 where they claimed a 400% performance improvement by
just re-compiling their code under the GEM compiler instead of GCC.

For a local Compaq/alpha VAR talk to Julie Carvalho at Nexgen Technologies,
Inc in Willow Grove. 215/657-4300; jcarvalho@nexgentech.com.

The local Compaq workstation sales rep who is quite knowledgeable about both
Linux and Baeowolf is James (IngrahamJames.Ingraham@compaq.com).

--
                ===<Tru64 UNIX-SIG Chair>===
                     www.tru64unix.org