Hugh Brock on Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:43:33 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Database book

Greg Lopp wrote:

> There was a short description of a good, general database book as things were
> breaking from tonight's meeting.....was the book "The Linux Database" By Fred
> Butzen and Dorothy Forbes?

That sounds like it -- Michael?

Philip Greenspun's book (available free online at
http://photo.net/wtr/thebook, or you can buy it from Amazon) is also
good reading for people generally interested in relational databases,
SQL, and the like.

For those who didn't make the meeting last night, you can find my talk
(along with some links to pages created by people more intelligent than
I) at
http://wimpy.arsdigita.com/public/presentation-top.adp?presentation_id=23903&user_id=23802

In retrospect it might have been a good idea to talk more about
programming Oracle and SQL than to talk about installing it. If anyone
has any questions on this, like "How do I get this query to work?" or
"How do I specify an outer join in Oracle," I'm more than happy to help
answer them. Let me know.

Thanks again to Nathan and IQ for providing facilities, refreshments,
etc. What a great place for a meeting!

--Hugh