tburba on Mon, 6 Dec 1999 15:54:59 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] ttysnoop and /dev/vcs#

I attempted to (over)simplify the scope of the project -- for the sake of
discussion. [...takes a deep breath]
Our hosts have:
-- discreet serial ports (/dev/ttyS#) (I know they are not part of
/dev/pts/# and the Unix 98 standard)
-- many telnet pseudo ports using the /dev/pts Unix 98 standard
-- A very expensive, vertical market application running that requires the
following, among others:
     -- mgetty (contractual [read expensive] obligations require it)
(although, you've implied, mgetty is not an issue)
     -- RH6.0 (contractual [read expensive] obligations prevent us from
using debian as our Distro)
-- 700 sites, each having a mini-network of these machines. Each network,
having both serial and pseudotty telnet connections is connected to our
Home Campus via dialup modem based connections using uucp

I think I'm starting to ramble on... this is just the tip of the iceberg!

darxus@op.net on 12/06/99 03:15:24 PM

Please respond to plug@lists.nothinbut.net