Charles Stack on Fri, 10 Dec 1999 10:36:43 -0500 (EST)

RE: [Plug] VALinux IPO

<snip>
-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net]On Behalf Of Chuck Peters
Sent: Friday, December 10, 1999 2:55 AM
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: RE: [Plug] VALinux IPO

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Charles Stack wrote:

> At least it looks like she'll buy some Inprise stock.  I'd bet by 2nd qtr
> they'll be doing fine (if they release the other tools they are
promising).

On Yahoo:
Inprise Corp. (NASDAQ:INPR - news) gained $3.56 to $17.31 after announcing
yesterday the release of the JBuilder 3 Foundation, the first version of
the product for the Linux operating system.

So what makes you think they will do well?

How well?  50 by april?

Thanks,
Chuck

</snip>

Inprise is an interesting company to watch.  They have had their round of
bad management (along with the decisions associated with it) that damn near
killed them off.  But, at the Inprise Developer's Conference, they made some
statements regarding company direction in addition to a new CEO.  I've been
watching them closely as I have a vested interest in their well being (Our
company uses Delphi as our primary development tool).

Since the conference, we have begun to see movement within Inprise towards
the goals they stated at the conference.  One of those announcements was
their commitment to Linux and that they want to be a leading developer tool
provider for that platform.

To Date we have seen:
   a) InterBase ported to Linux (Version 4,02 is still available for free
for those that are interested).  Naturally, they sell their later versions.

   b) JBuilder had been ported to Solaris at the time of the conference.
Linux was just around the corner.  To witt, I asked the PrimeTime chief
about their involvement with Blackdown.  He stated to the group that
Inprise/Borland will work closely with the Blackdown team to make the
Blackdown VM stable.  Their work was to be contributed back to the Blackdown
effort.

   c) Just In Time compiler (JIT) was demonstrated at the conference.

   d) A C++ compiler for Linux demonstrated.

   e) The Kylix project was announced.  This will bring Delphi to Linux.

   f) Visibroker has been ported to Linux.

   g) At the conference, they demonstrated PrimeTime for Linux and CORBA
(using MICO).

   h) Inprise and Corel have gotten together to produce their own Linux
distribution.  My guess is it will ship with the Linux based products.

   i) Oracle has licensed JBuilder technology.  I would assume that this
will mean easy access to Oracle databases for users of the JBuilder
Foundatation for Linux.

   j) Improved their relationship with Microsoft.  Note that J++ is no
longer under development.  They gave up.  JBuilder rules in the Windows/Java
market.

   k) In conjunction with (j), they are able to rapidly adopt any new
technologies coming out of Redmond.  This will keep them viable in the
Windows arena.

   l) Formed the community.borland.com site.  This site keeps developers up
to speed with what's going on in the community AND gives them a voice at
Borland.

There have been other things, but these are the more notable.  Now, you are
saying "So what?  Why do I think the stock will go anywheres?".

My reason is this - Inprise/Borland (INPR) is rediscovering itself.  It is
returning to its roots of making the best development environments (IMHO).
Dale Fuller (Interim CEO), has been forging alliances and cost cutting (when
appropriate) to direct the company to their new goal.  With the recent
corporate acceptance/adoption of Linux as a truly reliable and capable OS
AND an alternative to NT, Linux based stocks will do well.

I suspect that when Kylix is released (2nd Qtr, 2000?) the number of
business applications for Linux will expload almost overnight.  Don't get me
wrong, there a thousands of decent programs for Linux for all sorts of
things.  But, when it comes to office productivity or running a business,
the apps just aren't there (or aren't well known).

As a Delphi developer, I am excited by the prospect of writing native Delphi
apps on Linux.  From a technical standpoint, I love Linux for everything it
is; stable, reliable, secure, powerful, and free.  From a business
standpoint I love Linux because it's: stable, reliable, secure, powerful,
free and supported.  Bottom line is the bottom line.  I can deploy systems
based on Linux for a fraction of the cost of an equivalent NT based system.
I can set up internet servers that work, reliably 99.9% of the time.  I
still have an NT box that does comatose every now and then, without warning.
Yeah..it recovers...eventually.  The Linux box ( a lowly 100 mhz Pentium)
is handling our mail, web, ftp, and internet connectivity without missing a
heart beat.  Yeah..Bottom line is I can depend on Linux to keep my business
going.  I won't say that about NT.

If I, (remember me, the "Corporate Guy"), have recognized Linux's potential
then so have millions of others.  This means more opportunity for Linux
based companies.  Inprise will be one of the fortunate (if they play their
cards right).

There are those out there who despise everything that I just said.
Corporate involvement and Linux, in their eyes, is an evil thing...It will
destroy everything they stand for.

I don't believe that.  Corporate involvement, as long as they play by the
rules of Open Source and the various licensing (GNU, BSD, etc.) that are the
standards, will only lead to a symbiotic relationship with the Linux
community.

My guess INPR will be up to at least 30 by the end of 2nd Qtr.  Not exactly
quick money (trust is hard to regain), but it will make money regardless.

Cheers,

Charles