Vale Kenny on Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:38:24 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Learning Perl

I have some knowledge of how these publishing methods work.  Th epublishing
company will see a niche that needs a book, and put out a contract whoever
writes the book gets X sum of cash..
the authors lobby for privs to write the book..and someone gets it.
It's kinda the reverse o fthe traditional writing industry..someone writes a
book, and takes it to a publisher...
Consequently, the quality of said books may be spotty from time to time..I used
to go to Borders, get all of the boooks on a subject I was intereasted in, head
over to the cafe, and peruse them all until I found the one that best suited my
needs..
I no longer do that...after numerous trips like this, I realised this was a
pointless gesture..now I go in, and grab one of two publishers, O'Reilly, or
Stone Soup (altho' Stone Soup wqas purchased by sams and haven't published a
book since).  And I'm cretain I've got the best book on the subject..end of
story.
Sorry for thejittery tone of this email, and the typos, I've had *WAY* too much
coffee..
Peace,
Vale