Michael W. Ryan on Tue, 14 Dec 1999 06:25:21 -0500 (EST)

RE: [Plug] Dual Mode Modem

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Michael Leone wrote:

> > My question is does anyone know if this will work with Linux? I was
> > thinking when it says DOS-based it means the ability to set the
> > IRQs and Com Ports, unlike a win modem. If this won't work, Any
> > suggestions on a modem and/or store to get one at?

The rule of thumb is that if the modem will work in DOS, it'll work in
Linux.

> External. Always external modems. Then you never have to worry about ports &
> IRQs. Plus, you get to watch the little blinky lights. :-)

Yes, but then you need to tie up a serial port (not usually a problem,
though), have the right connector, have yet another thing sitting on your
desk, have yet another cable, have yet another plug, etc.  Configuring an
internal modem isn't that hard, as long as you configure it in a sane
manner.

> I've been doing computer support for 15+ years, and I can tell you - modems
> suck. When they work, they're great. When not, you can pull your hair out
> getting them to co-exist.

That still doesn't argue much for the attractiveness of external modems.
Modems still suck; having an external one just makes it easier to pitch
against the wall.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)