Michael Leone on Tue, 14 Dec 1999 20:45:13 -0500 (EST)

RE: [Plug] Dual Mode Modem

> > External. Always external modems. Then you never have to
> worry about ports &
> > IRQs. Plus, you get to watch the little blinky lights. :-)
>
> Yes, but then you need to tie up a serial port (not usually a problem,
> though), have the right connector, have yet another thing
> sitting on your desk, have yet another cable, have yet another plug, etc.
> Configuring an internal modem isn't that hard, as long as you configure it
in
> a sane manner.

I'll take the extra plugs and stuff any day. To me, a small price to pay for
the convience. YMMV.

> > I've been doing computer support for 15+ years, and I can
> tell you - modems
> > suck. When they work, they're great. When not, you can pull
> your hair out
> > getting them to co-exist.
>
> That still doesn't argue much for the attractiveness of
> external modems.

Does to me. Again, YMMV.

> Modems still suck; having an external one just makes it
> easier to pitch against the wall.

Never had or wanted to do that with an external modem. Internals and the IRQ
dance, yeah.

Just my opinion.