Darxus on Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:19:42 -0500 (EST)

[Plug] X font size / plug announcements colors

Sometime ago I asked for comments on the plug announcements page, and
somebody complained about the color scheme, saying it was too dim to read.

That was the color scheme I'd used for my home page for a long time.  And
this was not the 1st time I had complaints about it.

I'm sure this person thought I just blew them off.  But I really did
appreciate the input, and intended to do something about it.

I think the problem has more to do w/ font issues under X than the colors
being less than vivid, because that scheme always seemed fine on windows
boxes.

I recently got a 19" monitor (finally) and am running it at 1600x1200
under X.  With default settings, this makes just about every font for
everything unreadably tiny.

So I fought with it.

In the end, I now have xfstt (X Font Server for TrueType fonts) running,
with a commandline option of "-dpi 150".  The default dpi is like, 75.  So
I doubled the font sizes.  I then went into netscape's preferences &
changed the fonts over to the truetype fonts (didn't change the fontsizes
in netscape).  And I can see !

I was playing w/ truetypes just because I'd heard good things about
them... I'm sure there's a way to do it w/ the standard ps fonts.

Under debian, you can just "apt-get install xfstt" & add "-dpi 150" (or
some other #) to the arguments variable in /etc/init.d/xfstt.  Oh, you
also have to do an xset something to let the X server know where the fonts
are.

*And* I changed the colors of the PLUG announcements page, and I'd like to
know if they now meet the approval of the guy who didn't like the old
colors... and anybody else.

             Find the next largest prime, be famous:
                http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm