Bill Jonas on Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:12:32 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Dual Mode Modem

> >The toughest thing I have experienced with just going with an all
> >Linux system has been the modem and my system. It has a Win
> >Modem. Linux installs fine and works OK but getting it to see the
> >modem has been many fustrating hours..I have read help files and
> >the HowTo's but still have problems.
>
> It's not just going to be tough, it's going to be impossible. Winmodems
> don't work under Linux. At all. All other modems do. So this other one
> should work.

If I may interject...  look at http://www.linmodems.org.  They're working on
making winmodems work with Linux.  They have some alpha or beta code out for
the Lucent chipset (I think), as well as a couple mailing lists.  BTW, I
think that the driver they're working on is v0.9.5 or something.  Not a lot
of functionality yet, though.  The page is a little scarce on content as of
yet, but they have some good links.

Bill