Bob Suchowierski on Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:21:26 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] hardware problems.

1. IDE or SCSI drives?
2. Integrated controller or Plug in card?

I have had some really screwy errors with hard drives, (not limited to red
hat) First, there could be a controller problem, the cables can be bad, if
it's a plugin card, it may be loose, I have seen some really goofy things when
using non intel chipsets with cyrix chips, I have seen cheap cases where the
even though the card appears to be well seated, the case is askew which causes
bad connection between a plug in card and the motherboard, does it seem to get
really goofy when the machine is hot as opposed to being turned off and left
to cool down? Are you overclocking the CPU? If so, this may have something to
do with it, etc, etc, etc.  Bottom line, yank the drives out of the machine
and test them in another box.  If they work, then the motherboard can be on
its way out or the controller may be on its way out, etc, etc, etc.