Michelle Weber on Mon, 13 Dec 1999 19:11:14 -0500 (EST)

[Plug] hardware problems.

Hi, I have a server which recently kept freezing for nothing which seemed
hardware related, I checked the logs, and then noticed all these errors
spewed out to the console about one of the drives. After being rebooted so
many times without the drive being unmounted, I ran an fsck which started
creeping above 1 hour (on a 1 gig drive!) so I decided to just take it out
of its misery, and reformat, reinstall Redhat.  I couldn't even format the
poor thing, it kept giving errors, so I just took it out, and installed a
clean version of 6.1.  The box has been up since then, but today the other
drive, /home, which I didn't format, kept from the old install of 6.0,
started spewing out these goofy errors too! So then I did a shutdown, did
a warm boot, got a Hard disk failure from the bios! Did a cold boot, it
seemed to be ok, but I noticed the drive wasn't cleanly unmounted, and
redhat ran fsck by itself, and it seems to be acting normal now.
What could be the cause of this? This drive is 10 gigs, and I'm not about
to through it away as if it was 1 gig.

--
Michelle Weber
umweber@mcs.drexel.edu