Michael W. Ryan on Mon, 13 Dec 1999 18:24:41 -0500 (EST)

Re: A+ Certification (was Re: [Plug] Learning Perl)

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Bill Jonas wrote:

> Slightly better was A+ Certification Training Kit by Microsoft
> Press, but it wasn't outstanding, either.

MS Press books can get a bit dry.

> At the recommendation of the
> salesperson, I picked up an ExamPrep/ExamCram bundle.  I'm only up to ~page
> 450, but I'm highly impressed so far.  There was a nifty section in there
> about how to use the MS-DOS DEBUG.EXE program as a poor man's disk editor.

The Exam Cram and Exam Prep series are, in general, very good.  I would,
however, not recommend them for learing a product, only for preparing for
a test on the product.  They're still no substitute for actually working
with a product, though.

> PPS  Yes, I know, I shouldn't have bought a book by Microsoft Press.  I had
> two conflicting thoughts:  "I hope their books aren't as buggy as their
> software" and "On the other hand, they *should* be the best source of
> information for the DOS/Windows test."  The book is going to be returned.

Yup, they can be.  Their intent is a little different than the books like
the Exam Cram/Prep books.  MS Press books are about teaching a product,
while the others are for prepping for a test.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)