Bill Jonas on Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:21:57 -0500 (EST)

Re: A+ Certification (was Re: [Plug] Learning Perl)

> The Exam Cram and Exam Prep series are, in general, very good.  I would,
> however, not recommend them for learing a product, only for preparing for
> a test on the product.  They're still no substitute for actually working
> with a product, though.

Agreed.

> > PPS  Yes, I know, I shouldn't have bought a book by Microsoft Press.  I
had
> > two conflicting thoughts:  "I hope their books aren't as buggy as their
> > software" and "On the other hand, they *should* be the best source of
> > information for the DOS/Windows test."  The book is going to be
returned.

> Yup, they can be.  Their intent is a little different than the books like
> the Exam Cram/Prep books.  MS Press books are about teaching a product,
> while the others are for prepping for a test.

I'd have to disagree with you on this one.  The MS Press book seemed to be
rather narrowly focused on test prep.  Whereas the ExamPrep book covers
quite a bit more than "just" the test.  There is a chapter devoted to just
(ack!) NT.  There are also numerous sidebars that cover stuff you don't need
to know for the test (but they are clearly marked as "optional" reading
material).  I'm not saying that it's trying to teach you the basics of DOS
and Windows (although there is a bit of handholding), but they do assume a
certain level of cluefulness.  There are also "Hands-On" exercises at the
end of each chapter.  Overall, I'm very impressed.  I'd recommend them to
anyone, and for future certifications (i.e., Network+, MCSE (if I decide for
more certifications)), I'll certainly buy their books again.

Bill