Bill Jonas on Mon, 13 Dec 1999 16:51:53 -0500 (EST)

A+ Certification (was Re: [Plug] Learning Perl)

> A lot of computer books certainly are crap. I tend to either buy books on
> reccomendation, publisher, or of course for a class, or just borrow books
> from friends. All of the ones that I've bought w/o reccomendation seem to
> have been pretty bad.

I take the A+ test on Thursday.  If anyone else is planning on buying a book
to study for the test, *STAY AWAY* from the book _A+ Certification_ by Pete
Moulton, et al, published by Prentice Hall PTR, (C) 2000.  It's a hardback
with a gray and white cover.  There were so many errors in it, I started
cringing as I was reading.  If you want a representative error, turn to page
853 and look at the picture and its caption.  If you happen not to know what
TweakUI is, then turn the page and look at the next picture and *its*
caption.  :)  Slightly better was A+ Certification Training Kit by Microsoft
Press, but it wasn't outstanding, either.  At the recommendation of the
salesperson, I picked up an ExamPrep/ExamCram bundle.  I'm only up to ~page
450, but I'm highly impressed so far.  There was a nifty section in there
about how to use the MS-DOS DEBUG.EXE program as a poor man's disk editor.
:)

If anybody has any recommendations for me, please let me know.

Bill

PS  The ExamPrep/ExamCram bundle is on sale (I'm not sure when the sale's
over) at Micro Center (mentioned in a previous post for Slackware).

PPS  Yes, I know, I shouldn't have bought a book by Microsoft Press.  I had
two conflicting thoughts:  "I hope their books aren't as buggy as their
software" and "On the other hand, they *should* be the best source of
information for the DOS/Windows test."  The book is going to be returned.
:)