Mental on Sun, 19 Dec 1999 07:56:04 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] Remember that problem I had with X a couple months back? :) (including general ramblings and questions)

On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 02:50:01AM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> For those of you who don't remember, a few months back, I was having trouble
> configuring X to run properly with my ATI Rage 3D IIc (AGP).  Well, I never
> did get it resolved.  Here's the scoop:  This card is integrated into my

I had a similar problem with my laptop. It uses the ATI Rage LT
Pro/Mobility. I found a hacked up Xserver & instructions here:
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/xserver.html

<SNIP>
> 1.) I have a little more Clue(TM) than the average luser, so I know I'm
> probably taking a performance hit by using the generic framebuffer server,
> but can anybody approximate how much?  What differs between the framebuffer
> and a card-specific server?  I let Slackware setup configure LILO to use the
> framebuffer device (as it called it) rather than the plain ol' hardware so
> that I get a nifty Tux logo on bootup and my console (before I start X) runs
> in 1024 X 768 (great for those long-ass directory listings).  What exactly
> does this mean?  If I reconfigure LILO to run directly off the hardware, can
> I still use the framebuffer server in X?

Leave the vga= line alone. I need to do the same thing with my laptop
and its a rare day that I actually use the console anyways.

> 2.) If there *is* a significant performance hit, can anyone help me
> configure X so I can use the Mach64 server?  Here is the output from
> SuperProbe:
>
> Chipset: ATI 264GT-IIc (3D Rage IIc) (Port Probed)
> Memory:  4096 Kbytes
> RAMDAC:  ATI Mach64 integrated 15/16/24/32-bit DAC w/clock
>          (with 8-bit wide lookup tables)
>          (programmable for 6/8-bit wide lookup tables)
> Attached graphics coprocessor:
>          Chipset: ATI Mach 64
>          Memory:  4096 Kbytes

Check XFree's website. If its not supported then you're already doing
what you're supposed to do. This is what? XFree 3.3.5? You never did
say. As long as you have a current version there's only so much you can
do.

> 3.) There is no number three.
>
> 4.) KDE or GNOME?  <ducks>  I installed KDE because hard drive space is a
> big issue for me right now (88MB vs 135MB for a full install in Slack 7),
> and I don't have the space to install them both.

I'm not touching this. I run both. I dont use either desktop. I mix &
match the apps. I'm an E snob. :)
Since you said space is your biggest problem, why install either? Unless
you want the apps. In which case, which app do you want? This is a
matter of personal opinion.

> 5.) On an unrelated note:  Anyone have any success in getting the Canon
> BJC-1000 to work with Linux?  I think I saw in somebody's database on the
> web that it's a "Paperweight" under Linux.  Can anyone confirm or deny that
> it's a Winprinter?

I think someone else already answered this one. And my girlfriend just
showed up. Off to NYC. Should be fun. Good luck with the X stuff. Unless
you plan on playing a lot of Xbased games (Unreal Tournament, Q3A) you
should find the performance of the fbdev acceptable. This is a good
thing considering that you basicly have two choices.
1. use fbdev
2. Dont use X

Mental
--