Michael C. Toren on Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:02:30 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] MSIE for UNIX/other client that can do SPA

> > > I did a little snooping and noticed that Outlook Express has
> > > an option for Secure Password Authentication, which I'm assuming is a
> > > proprietary (! -- geez, big surprise there) protocol for authenticating
> > > yourself to the SMTP server.
> >
> > Well I'm not too familiar with this, but I don't think that this is any
> > sort of proprietary protocol.  I would guess you could use Eudora, or any
> > other SMTP mail agent.
>
> I think this is correct.  I haven't had alot of luck, but there are some
> people I can ask.

I believe it is proprietary, unfortunately :(  However, MS may have
written and implemented this before RFC2554 ("SMTP Authentication")
was written.  Sendmail will have support for RFC2554 in 8.10, which
is currently in beta.  Until then, there's always POP3 before SMTP
for production servers...

-mct