Nicolai Rosen on Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:36:36 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] MSIE for UNIX/other client that can do SPA

There's always wine
www.winehq.com

MS has Internet Explorer for Solaris and HP/UX for download at their web
site. Anybody know of these working with Linux? You see, I signed my soul
away for $400 off my computer (hey, what can I say, I'm poor). Actually, it
was just a 3-year contract with MSN. I've tried using Communicator under
Windows (I can't replace the winmodem for a bit yet due to money concerns),
but it failed. I did a little snooping and noticed that Outlook Express has
an option for Secure Password Authentication, which I'm assuming is a
proprietary (! -- geez, big surprise there) protocol for authenticating
yourself to the SMTP server. When I can finally replace my softmodem with
a, uh, "hard" modem, I'd like to begin divorcing myself of Windows as
quickly as possible, which is going to be quite difficult if I have to do
email and Internet from Windows.

Does anybody know if either of the MSIE *nix versions would work under
Linux?  Or has somebody hacked up a mail client (or a patch for one of the
popular mail clients) to be able to use SPA?

Thanks, all.

Bill

PS  Side note -- when I went to send this message, OE did its spell check
(I've got it set up to do one automatically when I send mail) and suggested
SMUT as a replacement for SMTP.  :)