Michael W. Ryan on Tue, 28 Dec 1999 00:08:12 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] DVD people taking the hackers to court

In a purely objective manner, I will remind everyone that the issue of
requests of questionable legality on this list has come up before, and I
do believe the decision was to keep them off.  Please don't pursue this
request further on-list.

The DVD-CCA is allegating that the software involves a violation of a
license agreement and improper reverse engineering, based on my
non-professional reading of the official complaint.  They have a point,
and an injunction is an injunction.  I'll also point out that they don't
seem to be afraid to include anyone distributing the software.

I've read some of the responses, and, to be honest, they sound more like
people being bitter about Linux not appearing to be a viable enough market
for DVD software and some very misguided flag-waving.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)