Nicolai Rosen on Tue, 28 Dec 1999 22:08:34 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] DVD software

Well first of all, an open player is not only viable, but out of the control of the film industry. The industry is stupid. They don't realize that it's only a few bucks more expensive (if at all) to buy a movie than to pirate it. I could care less whether or not this changes their perception or not. If they're not willing to produce a player, then the Open Source community can produce one of its own. Open Source may not be a good solution to everything, but for most things such as this, it's a very good solution. In fact it's the best solution. As for loss from pirating of VHS, that hasn't stopped the MPI from making obscene amounts of money off of them. Finally, your assertion that DVDs are theater quality is patently absurd. They are digital, but who cares. They're still rather expensive to pirate and doing so would not be very practical, especially considering you can only make DVD-RAM disks currently and that wouldn't even hold most movies.

I'm not sure that an open player would be viable, given the apparent level
of paranoia that the film industry has over copying.  The whole reason for
the encryption and the control over the keys is that the industry doesn't
trust the development community, Open Source or otherwise, enough to make
the decryption keys publicly available.  And I have to say, the response,
in general, to this issue doesn't necessarily help change their
perception.

I think a more productive route would be to try to convince an existing
DVD software/hardware licensee that there's a viable market for a DVD
player on the Linux platform.  Unfortunately, the Linux community has an
image that it needs to be Open Source or they're not interested.  Open
Source is NOT a suitable solution for everything.  Think of how much loss
the movie industry has suffered because VHS tapes are eminently
bootleggable.  Now, you want them to agree to make a format that's not
only theatre quality, but digital (and therefore doesn't lose quality on
copying) and has additional features?  If this is the case, I think the
Linux community is seriously deluding itself and doesn't have a real
future.