Michael Leone on Wed, 29 Dec 1999 22:25:09 -0500 (EST)

RE: [Plug] DVD. Restraining order overturned in court.

> I love the line in the story that says, "The expression on
> the judge's face looked rather enlightened when the point was made that
you
> don't need the encryption key in order to make illegal copies of movies or
> DVD discs."

Bet it did. It was the encryption key that was the crux of it, wasn't it?
The request for the TRO was based on the fact that (supposedly) the
encryption key (which is a trade secret, I believe) was used to make the
copies. And using illegally obtained trade secrets is against the law. But
if you don't need the key, then no trade secrets were broken or stolen.

And - as somebody pointed out earlier (Bill?) - copying the DVD for personal
use is legal.