Bill Jonas on Wed, 29 Dec 1999 22:43:24 -0500 (EST)

Re: [Plug] DVD. Restraining order overturned in court.

> Bet it did. It was the encryption key that was the crux of it, wasn't it?
> The request for the TRO was based on the fact that (supposedly) the
> encryption key (which is a trade secret, I believe) was used to make the
> copies. And using illegally obtained trade secrets is against the law. But
> if you don't need the key, then no trade secrets were broken or stolen.

If I'm correct in my understanding, the only thing that required the key is
the playback of CSS-encrypted movies.  Which is why the thing was done in
the first place.  If you want to copy the encrypted data, then nothing in
particular is required.  Of course, I suppose that possessing the encryption
keys would allow you to make an unadulterated mpeg that anybody with an mpeg
player could play, but who can really download a multi-gigabyte movie to
watch once, let alone collect them?  It just doesn't make sense.

> And - as somebody pointed out earlier (Bill?) - copying the DVD for
personal
> use is legal.

I did, but I think Michael Leone was the first.

Bill

--
"Look, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it 'guaranteed', I
will.  I got spare time."