Bill Jonas on Fri, 7 Jan 2000 19:30:52 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Re: Linux friendly ISPs

> I think that this would be the general case with all ISPs.  PPP is PPP
reguardless
> of your underlying OS - right?  What ISPs actively disallow linux? MSN?
Who else?

MSN "requires" Windows...  actually, everything works fine except mail and
news (according to a HOWTO-like document I found -- UUNET actually provides
the connectivity).  You can even send mail, but their POP and NNTP servers
are hidden behind a proprietary protocol (SPA) that breaks even when you're
using Windows but a mail-and-news client other than Outlook Express.  Even
if I was a die-hard Windows user, I'd stay away from MSN just because they
don't give you a choice of mail clients.  Example:  I downloaded Netscape
and installed it because I'd heard good things about the email client, in
that it gave you a choice about whether to start your reply at the top of
the message or the bottom (to me, having the reply after the quoted text is
The Right Thing).  I tried to connect to my POP server, and lo and behold,
the authorization failed.  A little snooping and looking at the config
screens for the email accounts in the respective email programs revealed the
Secure Password Authentication option in Outlook Express that was not
present in Navigator's email client.  :(

BTW, I've *got* to dig up my contract and read the fine print:
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=00/01/05/1346247&threshold=0&commentsort
=0&mode=thread&pid=54#221

Bill

--
"Because they know that all they sold you was a guaranteed POS!  Look, if
you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it 'guaranteed', I will.  I got