Greg Lopp on Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:43:40 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Boot time error messages

Bill Jonas wrote:

> I recompiled my kernel, making a "monolithic" kernel.  At boot time,
one of
> the start-up scripts calls "depmod -a" (I think), and it gives me line
after
> line of something like "dir/module.o: unrecognized symbol(s)".  Is
this
> because I didn't compile the kernel to have the modules'
functionality?
> Should I now remove the old modules?

In your configuration under Loadable Module Support, do you now, or
before the
recompile, have "Set version information on all symbols for modules" set
true. (This is the CONFIG_MODVERSIONS flag in /usr/src/linux/.config)

Your problem sounds like something I wrestled with back with a 2.0.34
kernel, I
assume that this hasn't changed much, even though the description in
xconfig
sounds inverted from what I remember.

If this option is set (to "y"), each symbol in your compiled modules and
the
connections in the kernel have a "random" string appended to them.  The
result
is that the symbol tables in your old modules and your fresh, new kernel
are
completely different.  You can only load modules which were compiled at
the
same time as the kernel.

I wish that I could remember what passes for "at the same time" or the
correct
sequence (modules first?, kernel first?), but I can't.  If you don't
have this
set, then I've just been wasting your time.