LeRoy D. Cressy on Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:56:53 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Boot time error messages

Hi all,

The sequence for compiling a kernel is:

make clean
make xconfig || make menuconfig || make config
make dep
make bzImage || make zImage
make modules	// required even if you didn't think you compiled
		// anything as a module
make modules_install

copy arch/i386/bzImage to the boot directory
copy System.map to the boot directory

Bill Jonas wrote:

> I recompiled my kernel, making a "monolithic" kernel.  At boot time, one of
> the start-up scripts calls "depmod -a" (I think), and it gives me line after
> line of something like "dir/module.o: unrecognized symbol(s)".  Is this
> because I didn't compile the kernel to have the modules' functionality?
> Should I now remove the old modules?
>
> Bill
>
> --
> "Because they know that all they sold you was a guaranteed POS!  Look, if
> you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it 'guaranteed', I will.  I got
> spare time."
>  -Chris Farley (on Microsoft?), _Tommy Boy_

          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		mailto:ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037