mg on Fri, 14 Jan 2000 15:31:18 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] LILO troubles

Hi all,

	Experiencing some frustrating lilo behavior.  Tiring of using a
bootdisk I decided to put aside my previous hair-pulling sessions and give
lilo another try.  So I installed it, upgraded to kernel 2.3.39 for shits
and giggles, and rebooted. Voila! Systems boots just perfectly, except I
forgot to rerun lilo after building 2.3.39 so the default kernel 2.2.12
that shipped with Slack 7 was booted.  No problem, of course, I'll just
run lilo so it updates and reboot again.  Well, after I did that I ended
up with "LI" syndrome.  I thought it might be that this new kernel was a bit too
large, but when I checked it out, both the 2.2.12 kernel that booted and
the 2.3.39 kernel that wouldn't are the same size. I'm at a loss here and
would appreciate any suggestions you all might have for me.  Here's a
rundown of the pertinent info, let me know if anyone would like to know
more:

	Slackware 7.0
	Kernel 2.3.39 w/ SMP
	linux root partition on /dev/hdb1 (defined in lilo, of course)
	dos parition on /dev/hda1 (also defined in lilo)
	Award BIOS (at work and don't recall the version, but if anyone
			would like to know I'll get it)

	Finally, this may or may not matter but stuck in my mind as the
biggest X factor, the 2.3.39 kernel that won't boot has SMP support, the
2.2.12 kernel that does boot does not.  Thanks.

	- Joe