Darxus on Sun, 16 Jan 2000 12:39:22 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] cd ripping single floppy linux distribution ?

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Bill Jonas wrote:

> > Do any of you know any more info that might be helpful ?  Wanna help me
> > make it happen ?
>
> Sure.  What did you have in mind?  It seems to me, though, that it'd need to
> be at least two floppies (think boot disk and root disk).

ls -s1 `which cdparanoia notlame wvdial ripit`
  32 /usr/bin/cdparanoia
  76 /usr/bin/wvdial
 184 /usr/local/bin/notlame
  16 /usr/local/bin/ripit

I just added wvdial to my list because it'd be nice to be able to dial
into the internet to get cd & track titles.  ripit's a perl frontend that
does cddb.  The numbers are kilobytes per file.  That's a total of 308k.
I think the *only* other thing we need is the kernel & its modules.

this is the contents of a debian rescue disk:

/mnt/floppy# ls -s1
total 1403
   1 debian.txt
   1 f1.txt
   1 f10.txt
   0 f2.txt
   1 f3.txt
   1 f4.txt
   1 f5.txt
   1 f9.txt
   1 install.sh
   5 ldlinux.sys
 688 linux
   0 rdev.sh
   1 readme.txt
 696 root.bin
   1 syslinux.cfg
   0 type.txt

(mounted via "mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy")

linux is the kernel, root.bin is, I believe, the compressed filesystem, to
be loaded onto a ramdisk.  Compressed it's over twice the size I need.
Should be no problem, and I should be able to add things like "ls" :)

Well, I'm gonna go bury my nose in the Bootdisk-HOWTO.

             Find the next largest prime, be famous:
                http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm
                      "There is no spoon."