Greg Lopp on Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:39:36 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] dlkern v16 (kernel downloader) released

plug-announce-admin@lists.nothinbut.net wrote:

> As promised thisevening at the PADS meeting....
>
> http://www.op.net/~darxus/dlkern
>
> For those who haven't seen previous mention of this, it is a perl program
> that queries the current linux kernel version(s) via finger, parses the
> information, and then downloads the specified version(s)
> (stable/unstable/prepatch). It is, of course, released under the GPL, and
> written in Perl.
>
> It had been fingering @linux.kernel.org (which I've been using for a very
> long time).  This nolonger responds, but I discovered @ftp.kernel.org
> does, and gives the same data.  This version just changes this address.
>
> As simple and fully functional as this program is, it already has a 9
> entry todo list, so if you get bored, feel free to assist.
>
> I keep feeling like I must be re-inventing a wheel.  But my attempts to
> find a program with similar function have turned up nothing.  If you know
> of anything similar, please let me know.

I discovered the perl module CPAN recently.  It's a module for managing
other perl modules that handles mirrors, MD5 authentication,
unpacking|untarring|unzipping, dependancies and individual configurations.
While that isn't exactly your entire TODO list, it atleast has an
architecture that you could make use of...(for mirrors, getting no response
and attempting another site, a local download area, applying different tools
to the downloaded file.....

Probably far more complex than one needs for what you a attempting (download
one of three files) as CPAN has an interactive mode that allows you to query
for all available modules in addition to its auto mode (perl -mCPAN -e
install $module_name)....but certainly an excellent exercise for the reader.