Chuck Peters on Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:08:34 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] Laptop vendor

Anyone know a good local laptop vendor who supports Linux?

Or does anyone have recommendations where or what to get?

It seems lots of places have windows laptops, but I haven't found any
local vendors selling Linux.  Dell sells one, but it's pricey.

What would be really nice is that a good linux vendor also know something
about digital cameras and could recommend one.

I asked Mark Merlin if he had some recommendations for a laptop and
digital camera.  He said "I've been using the Ricoh RDC 4300. It's nice
and compact. 1280x960 or 640x480 with a 3X optical zoom. However, since
it's almost a year old, it's obsolete now, they are lost of brand new
models I don't know about :-) All I'd say is to get one with compactflash
or smartmedia and a PCMCIA adapter as it lets you see the card as a hard
drive in your linux laptop instead of spending about 1H to download 16M
over a serial port."

Thanks,
Chuck