Jason Costomiris on Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:05:48 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Laptop vendor

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 10:17:25PM -0500, Chuck Peters wrote:
:
: Anyone know a good local laptop vendor who supports Linux?

Dell & IBM are the only ones, at least that are manufacturers.

Other vendors will resell NEC, Sony, and others.

: Or does anyone have recommendations where or what to get?

I've got an old Toshiba Tecra 730CDT.  Pentium-150, 80 MB RAM.  Not
the fastest thing on earth, but I get X at 1024x768x16bpp, the internal
modem works, and the PCMCIA slots do CardBus just fine (and I've got
the 3CCFE575BT to prove it..).

Dell has lots of nice laptops that, even though the come w/Windoze, run
Linux just fine && dandy.  At my last job, I had a Latitude CPi, which was
a P-II 366, w/128 MB RAM and a NeoMagic chipset.  I had a spare drive,
and it ran Linux just fine.

As for the digital camera stuff, the USB stuff in 2.3 seems to support the
Kodak USB digital cams.  I'd probably get one of those PCMCIA cards that
has the SmartMedia reader.  It shows up (IIRC) as a PCMCIA IDE device.
Mount-n-go.

I tend to stay away from Compaq.  They do so much funky stuff to their
hardware that they have to provide restore CDs, since if you installed
plain vanilla OS distributions on their hardware, you wouldn't have a
prayer of getting it all working again.

HP's got some nice books out there too.  Stay away from newer Toshibas
(Winmodems!)...

--
                 Jason Costomiris <><
            Technologist, cryptogeek, human.