Jason Costomiris on Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:48:38 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] CheckPoint Firewall

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 03:41:06PM -0500, Charles Stack wrote:
: We are installing this on a Win98 machine that is connected to the internet
: via a Linux box (RH 6.1/IP Masquarade) and SDSL.
:
: I don't userstand exactly what your checklist means to me.  Is there
: something I need to do on the Linux box to make this work OR is all the work
: on the Firewall side?

Yes, on both sides.  This is your setup:

Win98                                              Remote
Client----Linux/ipmasq--SDSL---Internet----FW-1----Server
Machine

Those packets are passing through both ipmasq and FW-1.  So, yes, both.

You won't be able to use SecureClient from behind ipmasq.  Why?  ipmasq
doesn't work on generalized ip protocols.  You'll want to rethink using
ipmasq.  The same goes for SecuRemote.

Set up ipmasq rules that do something like:

Src			Dst			Svc					Action
External	Internal	(specified group)	Permit
External	Internal	Any					Drop
Internal	External	Any					Permit

And for your other question, no, no entries in /etc/services.  That file
is nothing more than a reference, not a place to define what kind of traffic
a box can grok.

: 256/tcp must be permitted from the remote client to the
: *management console*.  Most people believe (incorrectly) that you
: communicate with the firewall module to get keys and site info.  You are
: actually talking to the MC.
:
: 259/udp *both ways* between the firewall module and the remote client.
: This is used to authenticate and negotiate FWZ session keys.
:
: 500/udp *both ways* between the firewall module and the remote client.
: This is used when negotiating ISAKMP keys.
:
: ip_p 94 *both ways* between the firewall module and the remote client.
: This is for FWZ packet encapsulation (if you're using that)
:
: ip_p 50 *both ways* between the firewall module and the remote client.
: This is used by ISAKMP.

--
                 Jason Costomiris <><
            Technologist, cryptogeek, human.