Charles Stack on Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:57:26 -0500 (EST)

RE: [PLUG] CheckPoint Firewall

Jason,

Do I need to make entries in /etc/protocols on both Win98 client and my
linux box?

If so, can you supply me with the correct entries?

cjs

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net]On Behalf Of Jason Costomiris
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2000 12:27 PM
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Re: [PLUG] CheckPoint Firewall

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 11:06:13AM -0500, Charles Stack wrote:
: Anybody ever heard of protocols 47 and 94 in relation to Checkpoint
: firewall's secure client product?  It has something to do with the
transport
: layer, but nobody here or at Voicenet's NOC seemed to know what these are.

ip protocol 47 == GRE, used in PPTP and other encapsulation protocols.

ip protocol 94 == Check Point's FWZ encapsulation.

If you're using SecureClient, you're on FW-1 4.1.  I don't have any
customers using that (all are still on 4.0), and I've only got 4.1 running
in my lab of mad science.

Here's a checklist to make sure SecuRemote/SecureClient will work:

256/tcp must be permitted from the remote client to the
*management console*.  Most people believe (incorrectly) that you
communicate with the firewall module to get keys and site info.  You are
actually talking to the MC.

259/udp *both ways* between the firewall module and the remote client.
This is used to authenticate and negotiate FWZ session keys.

500/udp *both ways* between the firewall module and the remote client.
This is used when negotiating ISAKMP keys.

ip_p 94 *both ways* between the firewall module and the remote client.
This is for FWZ packet encapsulation (if you're using that)

ip_p 50 *both ways* between the firewall module and the remote client.
This is used by ISAKMP.

--
                 Jason Costomiris <><
            Technologist, cryptogeek, human.