Kyle Burton on Wed, 2 Feb 2000 10:34:04 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] plug meeting tomorrow, ending around 10

I've tried Emacs and Vi, and with one, I am able to edit text files _alot_
faster.  They both come with the baggabe of a mindset as to how you're going
to best utilize the system (basicly perform multiple tasks).

Tom Christian has said "Unix _is_ Perl's IDE" -- which is basicly Vi's mindset.
The entire system is the IDE.  You utilize multiple desktops, terminals,
and applications to perform tasks -- there is a low barrier to frequenly
starting and stopping the editor.  To get good productivity, you have to
be good at the OS, not just the editor.

Emacs takes an integrated approach, it tries to make 99% of the tasks you'd
do be available to you with a keystroke combination.  The idea is that you
keep the editor open and active, and only perform external commands/tasks
infrequently, thus increacing productivity by never leaving the environent.

Each approach if utilized well, can give you alot of productivity.  They
just both take different approaches.

Which ever one is best for you, I'm not qualified to say.

You are.

"Think determanisticly, act randomly."
    -- Unknown