Morgan Wajda-Levie on Wed, 2 Feb 2000 20:42:55 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] An interesting story with good points...

Mike,

The misunderstanding that seems to be so common about this case is
that CSS does not stop copying.  Hiding simply behind the argument of
practicality and impracticality is definately a weak one, as DVDs are
a new technology.  It may be a pain the butt to burn DVDs now, but
things could change a lot in five years.  It is true that with a $200
burner you can copy CDs for $.60 a pop.  We may see a very similar
thing with DVDs in the near future.

Still, none of that matters.  Encryption simply keeps you from reading
something, not copying it.  Take any other form of encryption in use
on the Internet today.  If I encrypt and sign a message with gpg, it
is true that only people with the key will read it, and it will be
authenticated as my own.  Nevertheless, encryption does nothing if I
simply copy the message directly into another location.  Theoretically
you could probably do something with time stamps that are hard-coded
into the DVD burner; the time a DVD was created could be written into
the DVD by the burner automattically, and the encrypted movie could
have the same date, so that he two could be compared.  However, I
don't think a system such as this is in place.  It's not very
practical, and not anywhere near foolproof.

--
Morgan Wajda-Levie
PGP fingerprint: