Vettese, Nick A on Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:55:21 -0500 (EST)

RE: [PLUG] SQL books?

Would SQL for Smarties also be good for beginners?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Costomiris [mailto:jcostom@jasons.org]
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2000 9:21 AM
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Re: [PLUG] SQL books?

On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 10:23:38PM -0500, Andrew Brennan wrote:
: I'm not sure I can recommend it (I haven't had a chance to get to my copy)
: but there is a MySQL & mSQL book from O'reilly.  It's pretty good and if
: you're doing to use MySQL on your system ...

You're kidding, right?  My boss & I were @ Linux World on Wednesday, and
stopped by the ORA booth.  I bought the mod_perl book, which is actually
rather useful.

While there, I looked at the MySQL and mSQL book for a few minutes.  It's
pitiful.  As a SQL primer, it's just ok, it's MySQL and mSQL centric,
neither of which is an ANSI SQL implementation.  It's an ok beginner's
guide to running one of those systems, but in reality, it's not anything
that you can't get from reading the docs that come with each of those
DBMS's.

A great SQL book is "SQL for Smarties".

--
                 Jason Costomiris <><