Tracy Nelson on Fri, 4 Feb 2000 08:53:47 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] SQL books?

mg@infinity.stf.org wrote:

>         Can anyone recommend a good generic SQL book? I've already got a
> fairly good handle on the basics so I'm looking for something that isn't
> geared for the absolute beginner.  I know this isn't exactly a linux
> question, but I thought this would be a good group of people to
> ask. Thanks.

Actually, I'd recommend C. J. Date's _An Introduction to Database
Systems_.  This is the book I used when I first started learning about
databases, and it's still the best reference I have.  It covers the
relational algebra and relational calculus, and once you know that, you
can do things with SQL that other people won't believe.  It's also good
because it doesn't focus on any one database, and instead gives you the
information to work with any relational system you might find.

--
Just junk food for thought...